Turkey has introduced new definitions and measurement specifications for food additives, in line with the European Union’s approach. These changes follow a series of other legislative-related developments, regarding added vitamins, as well as food labeling.
The Turkish Food Codex Regulation on Specifications of Food Additives (“Regulation”) was published in Official Gazette number 30027 on 3 April 2017.
Significant definitions introduced by the Regulation include:
- CAS Number: Referring to the Chemical Abstracts Service registration number.
- EINECS Number: Referring to the European Inventory of Existing Commercial Chemical Substances Number.
- International Unit: Referring to measurement unit for active ingredients.
- Molar Absorption Coefficient: Referring to the absorption coefficient for 1% concentrate, 1-cm-long solution.
- Molecular Weight (g/mol): A relative number defining total atomic weight in a molecule.
Please see this link for the full text of the Regulation (only available in Turkish).