Amendments to Certain Laws Number 7226 (“Law“) was published in Official Gazette number 31080 and dated 26 March 2020 to prevent any loss of rights in the legal proceedings due to COVID-19 pandemic.
As per Temporary Article 1 of Law,
- Any and all terms regarding the origination, exercise and termination of any rights, including but not limited to the statute of terms for filing lawsuit, enforcement proceedings, complaints, objections, warnings, notices, submissions and statute of limitations and mandatory administrative application terms;
- Terms regulated under Administrative Procedure Law, Criminal Procedure Law, Civil Procedure Law and other procedural law, and
- Terms in mediation and reconciliation proceedings
are suspended from 13 March 2020 until 30 April 2020.
These suspended periods will begin to continue from the day following the day when the suspended period ends. The deadlines remaining fifteen days or less will be deemed extended for another fifteen days, starting from the day following the day when the suspended period ends. In case the pandemic will continue, the President is entitled to extend the suspended period once again, not exceeding six months.
The following terms are excluded from the suspension decision in the scope of the Law:
- Time limits regulated under the relevant laws related to crime and punishment, misdemeanor, administrative sanction, and disciplinary imprisonment and preventive detention.
- Terms regulated under Criminal Procedure Law for precautionary measures.
- Terms regulated under Civil Procedure Law for transactions regarding the completions of interim injunctions.
All other measures to be implemented including the postponement of hearings and negotiations shall be determined by the Board of Judges and Prosecutors in terms of the first-instance judicial and administrative judicial authorities and regional courts and regional administrative courts.
Please see this link for the full text of the Law (only available in Turkish).