With the amendment made to the Charging Service Regulation, green charging stations where the electrical energy supplied from renewable energy sources have been introduced into the legislation.
With the Regulation Amending the Regulation on Charging Services (“Amendment Regulation on Charging Services”) published in the Official Gazette dated August 17, 2023 and numbered 32282, a new regulation has been introduced for green charging stations where electricity for the charging service is supplied from renewable energy sources and for the renewable energy resource guarantee certificate (“YEK-G Certificate“), which provides proof that the supplied electricity is supplied from renewable energy sources. Within this scope, the amendments made by the Regulation Amending the Regulation on Renewable Energy Resource Guarantee Certificate in the Electricity Market (“YEK-G Amendment Regulation“) regulated the YEK-G Certificates of green charging stations and arrangements were made the Energy Market Regulatory Authority’s (“EMRA“) decision dated 10 August 2023 and numbered 12006 (“Board Decision“), published simultaneously in the Official Gazette.
Considering the Board Decision, the important headings of the Amendment Regulation on Charging Services and YEK-G Amendment Regulation are as follows:
- With the Amendment Regulation on Charging Services, green charging stations have been introduced to the legislation and it has been regulated that the green charging station classification will be provided with the YEK-G Certificate.
- Accordingly, a green charging station is defined as a charging station for which a YEK-G certificate is redeemed for all of the electrical energy in order to certify that the electrical energy used for charging is generated from renewable energy sources.
- The YEK-G certificate, which provides the green charging station classification, is defined as an electronic document, each of which corresponds to 1 MWh of electricity generation, which is issued and provides evidence that a certain amount or percentage of the electricity supplied is generated from renewable energy sources.
- With the YEK-G Amendment Regulation, legal entities holding charging network operator licenses were also allowed to participate in the renewable energy resource guarantee system.
- Charging network operators are obliged to redeem and disclose the YEK-G Certificate to users who receive charging services from green charging stations.
- It is regulated that green charging stations shall be displayed with a separate color or sign on the free access platform, and the logos and/or signs for distinguishing green charging stations before the users may be determined by EMRA.
The full text of Amendment Regulation on Charging Services can be accessed here (only in Turkish).
The full text of the YEK-G Amendment Regulation, which will enter into force on December 15, 2023, can be accessed here (only in Turkish).
The full text of the Board Decision, which will enter into force on December 15, 2023 can be accessed here (only in Turkish).